What is the board’s role in advancement?
Board members carry an important role in organizational advancement efforts. In an ongoing way, board members should expect to:
• Designate adequate resources for the advancement program, including personnel and budget, and review results annually.
• Consider potential board members who are experienced in fundraising or well-connected to possible funding sources.
• Partner with the CEO and staff to maintain strong, healthy relationships with all key constituencies.
• Host and/or be an enthusiastic presence at special events.
• As appropriate and comfortable, identify prospective donors, personally solicit gifts and thank individual donors.
• Be regular, generous contributors to the organization.